Elevate your holiday feast with a delicious twist on a classic dish—Crispy Stuffing Balls. These delicious treats encapsulate all the savory goodness of traditional stuffing but with a crispy, golden exterior that adds a delightful crunch to every bite.
Crafting these Crispy Stuffing Balls involves a savory blend of cubed bread, sautéed vegetables, and aromatic herbs. The mixture is carefully shaped into balls, coated in breadcrumbs, and then crisped to perfection through baking. The result is a harmonious marriage of textures, offering a crispy outer layer that gives way to a moist and flavorful stuffing center.
Why You'll Love These Crispy Stuffing Balls:
- Make them any sized: These can be made large or in bite-sized makeing them ideal for any gathering, ensuring everyone gets a taste.
- Textural Delight: The contrast between the crispy exterior and the soft, flavorful interior creates a textural experience that will leave your taste buds dancing.
- Versatile Serving Options: Whether as a side dish or an appetizer, these stuffing balls are versatile and can be paired with various dipping sauces to suit your taste.
Cubed bread, Onion, Celery, Carrots, Mushrooms, Garlic, Dairy Free Butter, Vegetable or chicken broth, Dried sage, Dried thyme, Salt and pepper, Seasoned Breadcrumbs, Eggs
- Cubed Bread: Opt for day-old bread or pre-packaged stuffing cubes for the best texture.
- Vegetables: Finely chop the vegetables to ensure even distribution in the stuffing mixture.
- Butter: I used non-dairy to adhere to my kosher diet.
How to make Crispy Stuffing Balls step-by-step:
In a bowl add the onions, celery, carrots, mushrooms, garlic, non-dairy butter, cubed bread, sage, thyme.
Add to a baking dish and pour over your broth.
Bake the stuffing and remove from the oven. Allow the stuffing cool for a few minutes before mushing it together.
Roll the stuffing mixture into balls using an ice cream scooper, coat with breadcrumbs, dip in beaten eggs, and roll in breadcrumbs again.
Then, Spray the stuffing balls with oil and choose your preferred method. Cook until golden brown and crispy. (Personally, I air-fry them but you can deep fry or bake!)
Let them cool for a few minutes and serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Crispy Stuffing Balls Tips and Tricks:
- Ensure the stuffing balls are well-coated with breadcrumbs for a crispier exterior.
- Experiment with different herbs and spices to personalize the flavor profile.
Frequently Asked Questions
A: Yes, you can make the stuffing mixture ahead of time and refrigerate until you are ready to shape and cook.
A: Absolutely! Using leftover stuffing is a fantastic way to repurpose and add a crispy twist. Simply shape the pre-cooked stuffing into balls, follow the coating and cooking steps, and enjoy a delightful new treat.
A: These stuffing balls pair wonderfully with a variety of dipping sauces. Try cranberry sauce for a sweet kick, mustard for tanginess, or a creamy garlic aioli for a richer flavor.
More Fall Recipes You'll Love
Crispy Stuffing Balls
- 4 cups cubed bread day-old or pre-packaged stuffing cubes
- ½ cup onion finely chopped
- ½ cup celery finely chopped
- ½ cup carrots finely chopped
- ½ cup mushrooms finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2-3 tablespoons butter dairy free
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 to 1.5 cups seasoned breadcrumbs quantity may vary
- 2 eggs beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a bowl add, onions, celery, carrots, mushrooms, garlic, non dairy butter, cubed bread, and thyme. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the stuffing mixture to a large dish.
- Gradually add vegetable or chicken broth until the mixture is moist but not overly soggy.
- Bake the stuffing mixture in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until it reaches a golden brown and crispy texture.
- Allow the baked stuffing mixture to cool slightly, then form it into balls using a 2.5 inch ice cream scooper.
- Dip each ball into breadcrumbs, then the beaten eggs, and roll in breadcrumbs.
Choose your preferred cooking method:
- Baking: Spray with oil and bake the coated balls for an additional 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Air Frying: Spray with oil and place the balls in the air fryer basket and air fry at 375°F (190°C) for about 10-12 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Deep Frying: Heat oil in a deep fryer or a heavy-bottomed pot. Fry the stuffing balls in batches until they're golden brown, approximately 3-4 minutes. Ensure the oil is hot enough to cook the balls through without burning the exterior. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Cool slightly before serving