Schnitzel is classic dish in almost every Jewish household. This easy recipe is here to offer a lighter alternative to the traditional deep-fried version while preserving the essence of the dish.
There is truly nothing better than fresh Schnitzel! As much as I love it deep fried, I've embraced a healthier baked rendition as a way of steering clear of excess oil without compromising the juicy, tenderness of the chicken.
Why You'll Love This Simple Crispy Baked Schnitzel:
- Deep Fry Free Alternative: Baking instead of deep frying reduces the use of excess oil while maintaining that irresistible crispy texture.
- Simple Ingredients: You can use everyday kitchen staples to create this satisfying and flavorful dish.
- Family-Friendly: Perfect for pleasing both kids and adults, this dish it a go-to family dinner.
Chicken breast (sliced thin), Egg, Paprika, Salt, Pepper, Garlic powder, Onion powder, Bread Crumbs,Avocado Oil Spray
- Chicken Breast: Choosing thinly sliced chicken breast ensures a quick and even cooking process, resulting in a perfectly juicy interior.
- Eggs: Whisking the eggs thoroughly creates a binding agent that helps the breadcrumbs adhere to the chicken, contributing to the dish's crispy texture.
- Pure Avocado Oil Spray: Using an avocado oil spray helps coat the chicken in a light mist of oil that will assist in its crispy texture without saturating the chicken.
How to Make Crispy Baked Schnitzel Step-By-Step:
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine breadcrumbs with the seasoning.
- Whisk eggs in a separate bowl.
- Dip chicken slices into the whisked egg, then dip and coat in the seasoned breadcrumbs.
- Place coated chicken on a lined baking sheet.
- Spray with avocado oil.
- Bake at 400°F for 20-25 minutes, make sure to flip halfway through, spray the other side, and bake until golden brown and crispy. Ensure the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
Crispy Baked Schnitzel Tips and Tricks:
- Use a ziplock bag to bread your chicken. Place the egg in one bag, and the seasoned breadcrumbs in another. Place all the chicken in the egg mixture and shake. Then place all the chicken in the breadcrumb bag and shake until fully coated.
- To minimize waste during the coating process use reusable, washable Ziplock bags to.
- Double the batch and freeze for a quick and convenient meal option.
Frequently Asked Questions:
A: Yes, feel free to substitute with your preferred oil spray.
A: This recipe is truly best fresh, but it also freezes well for great make ahead meal options.
More Easy Dinners You'll Love
Simple Crispy Baked Schnitzel
- 1 pound chicken breast sliced thin
- 2 Eggs
- 1 ½ cup Bread Crumbs
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Onion powder
- Pure Avocado Oil Spray
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, combine breadcrumbs, paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- In another bowl, crack and whisk two eggs.
- Dip each chicken slice into the egg mixture, ensuring it's well-coated.
- Transfer the egg-coated chicken into the seasoned breadcrumbs, ensuring an even coating.
- Place the coated chicken on a baking sheet.
- Spray the chicken with pure avocado oil.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 400°F for 20-25 minutes, flipping the chicken halfway through and spraying the other side with oil and continue baking until golden brown and crispy.
- Ensure the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack
- Serve hot
- For a mess-free coating process, place the eggs in one ziplock bag and the breadcrumbs in another. Add chicken to the egg bag, shake, then transfer to the breadcrumb bag and shake again.
- To reduce waste, consider using reusable and washable Ziplock bags.