Servings 6 servings
- 12 ounces brown rice ziti pasta
- 1 28 ounces can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14 ounces can tomato sauce
- 1 cup blended cottage cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cook the brown rice ziti pasta according to the package instructions until al dente (i always under cook by a few minutes).
- Drain and add in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Then mix in the cheese reserving ¼ of the mozzarella for the top.
- Transfer to a baking dish and top with the remaining cheese.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Broil for an additional 2-3 minutes until the cheese is golden and bubbly. Keep an eye on it to prevent burning.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Make sure not to overcook the pasta initially, as it will continue to cook in the oven.
- Blending cottage cheese creates a creamy texture without distinct curds, making it a delicious alternative to ricotta.
- feel free to add additional herbs and seasoning to fit your personal preferences.