This Savory Fruit-Infused Mediterranean Chicken is a true favorite that combines the delightful sweetness of apricots and prunes with the savory saltiness of capers and olives. As the fruit bakes alongside the garlic, it becomes tender and spreadable, creating a mouthwatering blend of flavors.
This recipe features chicken on the bone marinated in a mixture of prunes, apricots, green olives, capers, garlic, and chicken stock. The chicken is then baked to perfection with a sprinkle of salt, pepper, and sweet paprika. The result is a savory fruit-infused chicken that is tender, flavorful, and truly irresistible!
Why you'll love this recipe
- Sweet and Savory: The combination of sweet apricots, prunes, and the savory notes from capers and olives creates a delightful balance of flavors. It will truly captivate your taste buds!
- Easy Marinating: By marinating the chicken overnight or for at least 4 hours, the flavors infuse into the meat, resulting in a more flavorful and succulent chicken. It requires minimal effort and delivers fantastic results.
- Versatile Dish: This Mediterranean chicken is not only perfect for Shabbat meals but can be enjoyed any day of the week. It's a wholesome and delicious meal that will impress your family and friends.
- Chicken on the Bone
- Green Olives
- Whole Cloves of Garlic
- Chicken Stock
- Sweet Paprika
- Family Pack of Chicken on the Bone: The use of chicken on the bone adds flavor and juiciness to the dish. You can adjust the quantity based on the number of servings needed.
- Prunes: Prunes add a naturally sweet and tangy flavor to the dish. They also contribute a rich and moist texture to the chicken.
- Capers: Capers are small, and add a burst of flavor to the dish. They contribute a slightly salty and acidic taste, enhancing the overall savory profile of the chicken.
How to make Mediterranean Chicken step by step
Here are some quick instructions with a brief explanation. Be sure to read through the full instructions with exact ingredient measurements & steps in the recipe card below!
Step 1: The night before cooking, place all the ingredients, except the spices, in a ziplock bag. Shake well to ensure the chicken is coated with the marinade. Allow it to marinate overnight or for at least 4 hours.
Step 2: The next day, Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
Step 3: transfer the contents of the ziplock bag to a baking pan, arranging the chicken on top of the veggies and fruit. Ensure an even distribution.
Step 4: Sprinkle the salt, pepper, and sweet paprika over the chicken.
Step 5: Bake the dish covered for 30 minutes and then uncover for an additional 15 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F (74°C).
Once cooked, remove from the oven and let it rest for a few minutes. Serve this savory Mediterranean chicken and enjoy a truly delicious meal.
Recipe tips and tricks
- For added depth of flavor, lightly brown the chicken in a skillet before transferring it to the baking pan. This step enhances the caramelization and intensifies the taste of the chicken. - I skip this step because this is LAZY kosher cooking after all!
- Adjust the cooking time depending on the size and thickness of the chicken pieces. It's important to ensure that the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) to ensure it is fully cooked.
Frequently asked questions
A: Yes, you can use boneless chicken if you prefer. However, keep in mind that bone-in chicken tends to be more flavorful and juicy. Adjust the cooking time accordingly as boneless chicken may cook faster than bone-in chicken. It's recommended to use bone-in chicken for the best results and flavor.
A: Certainly! This recipe allows for some flexibility. If you're not a fan of prunes or apricots, you can experiment with other dried fruits such as raisins, figs, or dates. Just make sure to adjust the quantities to your taste preferences. Similarly, if you prefer a different variety of olives or want to add other fruits, feel free to customize the dish to suit your liking.
A: Yes, you can prepare the chicken and marinade in advance, allowing it to marinate overnight. When you're ready to cook, simply transfer the marinated chicken and its ingredients to a baking pan, season it, and bake as instructed. The flavors will have developed nicely, resulting in a delicious and tender chicken dish.
- Family pack of chicken on the bone
- ½ cup prunes
- ½ cup apricots
- ½ cup green olives
- ¼ cup capers
- 8 cloves of garlic or to taste
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- The night before cooking, place all the ingredients, except the spices, in a ziplock bag. This includes the chicken, prunes, apricots, green olives, capers, and garlic cloves.
- Seal the bag tightly and shake the bag vigorously to ensure that the chicken is well coated with the marinade and the flavors are evenly distributed. Marinate the chicken in the refrigerator overnight or for a minimum of 4 hours for optimal flavor development.
- The next day preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C)
- Transfer the contents of the ziplock bag, along with the marinade, to a baking pan.
- Arrange the chicken on top of the veggies and fruit in an even layer. Distribute the prunes, apricots, green olives, capers, and garlic cloves throughout the pan, ensuring they are evenly dispersed.
- Sprinkle the salt, pepper, and sweet paprika over the chicken.
- Cover the baking pan with foil and bake the dish covered for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the foil cover from the baking pan to expose the chicken and allow it to brown. Continue baking the dish for an additional 15 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F (74°C) when measured with a meat thermometer.
- Once cooked, remove the chicken from the oven and let it rest for a few minutes.
- Serve this chicken with your favorite sides, such as roasted vegetables, rice, or a fresh salad. This chicken is also an amazing addition to any shabbos meal!