Enjoy the sweetness of homemade date spread. This delightful recipe transforms simple ingredients into a delicious, versatile spread!
This date spread is like natures caramel, combining the richness of dates with just the right amount of sugar and water. It's a perfect balance of flavors that is a delightful addition to your culinary repertoire.
Why You'll Love This Date Spread:
- Easy: This recipe only requires three ingredients and it's easy to make.
- Versatile: This date spread is a versatile companion to your favorite dishes, from spreading it on toast to drizzling it over pancakes or using it as a filling for pastries!
- No Artificial Additives: With no artificial preservatives or additives, this homemade date spread ensures that you're savoring pure, unadulterated flavors.
Pitted dates, White Granulated Sugar, Water
- Pitted Dates: Ensure that the dates are fresh and moist for the best results. Soaking them will softens the texture and make them easier to blend.
- Granulated Sugar: Adjust the sugar quantity based on your preference for sweetness. You can also experiment with natural sweeteners like honey or maple syrup.
How to make Date Spread step-by-step:
In a bowl, soak your chopped dates for at least 30 minutes or until they become plump and soft.
In a saucepan, combine the soaked chopped dates, granulated sugar, and water.
Place the saucepan over medium heat and bring the mixture to a simmer. Stir frequently to dissolve the sugar and prevent the dates from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
Reduce the heat to low and let the mixture simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until the dates become soft and the mixture thickens. Stir occasionally to ensure even cooking and to prevent burning.
Once the dates are soft and the mixture has thickened, allow to cool for 10 minutes. Then transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor. Blend until you achieve a smooth consistency.
Allow the date spread to cool completely before transferring it to a jar or airtight container. It will continue to thicken as it cools.
Date Spread Tips and Tricks:
- For added depth of flavor, consider incorporating a pinch of cinnamon or a splash of vanilla extract during the blending stage.
- Buying pitted dates will prevent you from having to de-pit the dates yourself. You can use dates with pits and remove the pits yourself.
Frequently Asked Questions:
A: The spread can be stored in an airtight container, and it can last for several weeks in the refrigerator.
A: Absolutely, adjust the sugar to your taste preference or explore natural sweeteners.
A: Yes, the recipe is vegan!
More Sweet Treats You'll Love
Homemade Date Spread
- 2 cups pitted dates chopped and soaked
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 ¼ cups water
- Place the dates in a bowl and cover them with water, allowing them to soak for at least 30 minutes.
- After soaking, drain the excess water from the dates.
- In a saucepan, combine the soaked chopped dates, granulated sugar, and water.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring frequently.
- Once the mixture is simmering, reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for about 15-20 minutes. Stir occasionally to ensure even cooking and prevent burning.
- Allow the mixture to cool slightly then transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Allow the date spread to cool completely before transferring it to a jar or airtight container.
- You can reduce the sugar in this recipe for a less sweet spread or substitute the sugar for natural sweeter.
- If the spread still seems a a tad liquidy, do not worry. The spread will continue to thicken as it cools.