I came up with the idea for these Coffee Cake Cookies as part of my new series, which is all about desserts inspired by TV shows. Of course, I had to begin with my all-time favorite show: Friends. There are many foods that remind me of Friends, but when I think of the show, my mind immediately jumps to the coffee house.
When someone thinks of coffee cake, they usually imagine either a yellow cake to eat with coffee or a coffee-flavored cake. I decided for this one to make coffee-flavored cookies that filled my house with the aroma of a coffee shop. The strong coffee flavor pairs perfectly with the sweetness of brown sugar, resulting in a delicious flavor that will remind you of your favorite coffee moments. The streusel topping adds a crumbly, buttery layer of sweetness that perfectly balances the textures of each bite.
- Butter: For the cookie dough softened butter adds moisture to the dough. the melted butter works perfectly for the streusel assisting in creating the perfect crumbly texture.
- White Sugar and Brown Sugar
- Large Egg: Ensure you use large eggs, using extra large eggs will ruin the dough.
- Espresso: Opt for a finely ground quality espresso powder for an authentic and robust coffee flavor.
- Salt: Idolized salt is best for this.
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- All-Purpose Flour
- Cornstarch: Assists in the texture of the cookies.
How to make Coffee Cake Cookies step-by-step:
Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
In a mixer, cream together softened butter, white sugar, and brown sugar.
Add egg and brewed espresso mix until well combine. Then gradually add in your dry ingredients like salt, baking powder, baking soda, and flour until cookie dough forms.
Create the streusel by combining sugar, flour, cinnamon, vanilla, pinch of salt, and melted butter. Bring together with a whisk until you achieve a crumbly texture.
Scoop the cookies onto a baking sheet using a 2.5-inch cookie scooper, sprinkle streusel on top, and bake for 10-12 minutes.
Coffee Cake Cookes Tips and Tricks:
- Espresso Quality: Using a better quality espresso will give a more robust, authentic coffee flavor.
- Room Temperature Ingredients: Ensure butter and egg are at room temperature for optimal cookie texture.
- Watch Baking Time: Keep a close eye on the cookies to avoid over-baking; slightly underdone cookies stay moist.
More Cookie Recipes You'll Love
Coffee Cake Cookies
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ½ cup butter softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 shot brewed espresso (¼ cup)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ baking powder
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a mixer bowl, cream together the softened butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg to the butter and sugar mixture. Continue mixing until well combined.
- Add the brewed espresso to the cookie dough and mix until incorporated.
- Gradually add in the dry ingredient to the mixture of the wet ingredients, mixing until a dough forms.
- In another bowl, combine melted butter, sugar, flour, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt. Whisk together until it forms a crumbly texture.
- Using a 2.5-inch cookie scooper or your hands, portion out balls of dough and place them on the prepared baking sheets, leaving space between each cookie.
- Sprinkle the streusel topping generously over the top of each cookie, ensuring an even distribution.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are set and lightly golden.
- Cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.