If you're a fan of Gilmore Girls and their love for pop tarts, pie, chocolate, and of course coffee, then these Chocolate Coffee Pop Tarts are perfect for you. Combining the best of pop tarts and pie with a delicious coffee glaze, these chocolate-filled pastries are a tasty treat that will take you to the cozy world of Stars Hollow.
This easy to make dessert features layers of flaky puff pastry wrapped around a rich chocolate filling, baked to golden perfection, and finished with a smooth coffee glaze. These "pop tarts" are not only a sweet treat, but also make me think of Gilmore girls every time.
Why You Will Love These Chocolate Coffee Pop Tarts:
- Easy to Make: This dish uses simple ingredients and a straightforward process, even beginner bakers can make these delicious pastries.
- Convenient: Prepare a batch in advance and freeze for instant enjoyment, ensuring you always have a delicious treat at your fingertips!
- Pop Tart Pie: This recipe is a mix between a pop tart and a pie!
Ingredients + Notes:
- Puff pastry- Ensure it's slightly thawed for easier handling.
- Chocolate chips - I prefer using a dark chocolate chip
- Whipping cream
- Brewed coffee- Use your favorite coffee to infuse the glaze with robust flavor. I use a shot of espresso.
- Powdered sugar
How to make Chocolate Coffee Pop Tarts Step-By-Step:
Slightly thaw puff pastry and preheat oven to 350°F.
In a double boiler, melt chocolate chips with butter over medium-low heat.
Remove from heat, and mix with cream.
Spoon chocolate filling onto the pastry, top with the other half, seal edges with a fork.
Brush with egg wash and bake until golden brown.
Cool on a wire rack before topping with coffee glaze.
If desired, cut before serving!
Chocolate Coffee Pop Tarts Tips and Tricks:
- Ensure a clean edge when sealing the pastries to prevent leakage during baking.
- Gradually add powdered sugar to the coffee, whisking continuously for a smooth glaze.
- These treats are best enjoyed slightly warm, so reheat briefly if serving later.
Frequently Asked Questions:
A: Yes, you can use milk or a non-dairy alternative if you prefer.
A: Absolutely, make a batch and freeze; reheat when ready to enjoy.
A: Yes! I always make them dairy-free by using dairy-free alternatives.
A: The coffee glaze typically sets within 15-20 minutes. Ensure the pop tarts are fully cooled before applying the glaze for the best results.
More Easy Desserts You'll Love
Chocolate Coffee Pop Tarts
- 8 squares of cut puff pastry
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup cream (+1 tablespoon for glaze)
- 2 tablespoon butter
- ⅛ cup brewed coffee
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Allow the puff pastry to slightly thaw, ensuring it's pliable but not fully thawed.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a double boiler, melt chocolate chips with butter over medium-low heat. (This can be done in the microwave as well)
- Once melted, remove the chocolate from the heat and mix in the ½ cup of cream until smooth. Set filling aside.
- Lay out 4 squares of puff pastry on the baking sheet. Spoon the chocolate filling onto the center of the pastry, ensuring to leave clean edges.
- Top the puff pastry with another square of puff pastry and seal the edges together with a fork.
- Mix egg with 1 tablespoon of water to create an egg wash. Brush the assembled pop tarts with the egg wash for a glossy finish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- To make the glaze, mix brewed coffee, 1 tablespoon of cream, and gradually mix in powdered sugar and until a smooth glaze forms.
- Allow the pop tarts to cool completely (about 20 minutes) on a wire rack before pouring on the coffee glaze spoonful at a time.
- Once the glaze has set, cut the pop tarts into desired portions. Serve and enjoy!
- I use all dairy free ingredients for this recipe.
- If you don't have cream try using milk or oat milk! It wont be exactly the same but it will still be delicious!