This Apples & Honey Cake is a delightful ode to the tradition of enjoying apples and honey during Rosh Hashanah. It's a flavorful and aromatic treat that captures the essence of the holiday in every bite.
Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year, is a time of reflection, renewal, and hope for a sweet year ahead. Apples and honey are integral components of this celebration, symbolizing the wish for a sweet and fruitful year. Personally, I have never enjoyed apple cake... until I tried this one!
Why You'll Love this Apples & Honey Cake:
- Traditional: Embrace the l tradition of enjoying apples and honey in a delightful dessert form that's perfect for Rosh Hashanah.
- Moist & Flavorful: This apples & honey cake boasts an extremely moist texture and a harmonious blend of spices, delivering a burst of apple-cinnamon goodness in every bite.
- Simple Ingredients: The recipe features common pantry ingredients, making it incredibly easy to make!
Flour, Baking powder, Baking soda, Salt, Cinnamon, Avocado oil, Honey, Granulated sugar, Eggs, Grated apples, Unsweetened applesauce
For the Crumb Topping:
Flour, Granulated Sugar, Brown sugar, Avocado oil, Cinnamon
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda: Using both baking soda and baking powder in the recipe serves different yet complementary roles in achieving a perfectly risen and tender cake
- Avocado Oil: Avocado oil is my preferred natural oil but you can use any neutral oil you'd like (such as as canola, sunflower, or vegetable)
- Honey: Represents the sweetness of the new year and contributes a unique natural flavor.
- Grated Apples: Grating the apples infuse the apple flavor while providing extra moisture to the cake.
- Unsweetened Applesauce: Adds moisture and apple flavor without excessive sweetness.
How to Make Apples & Honey Cake Step by Step :
Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
Step 1: First, Combine the oil, granulated sugar, and eggs until creamy.
Step 2:Then add in the honey and applesauce
Step 3: Gently fold in the grated apples.
Step 4: Gradually add the dry ingredients until just combined. Then Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
Step 5: Prepare the crumb topping and sprinkle it evenly over the apple cake batter.
Step 6: Bake for about 40-45 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
Apples & Honey Cake Tips & Tricks:
Choose the Right Apples: Opt for firm and crisp apples with a sweet and slightly tart flavor. Personally I like to use honey crisp for this apple cake. Their texture and taste will greatly enhance the cake's overall appeal.
Grate the Apples Right Before Mixing: To preserve the freshness and moisture of the grated apples, do this step just before adding them to the batter. This ensures the apple are shreds flavorful, juicy, and don't oxidize .
Elevated Sweetness: Before serving, consider drizzling a touch of additional honey over the fully cooled apple cake; this simple step enhances the mild honey flavor, providing a delightful finishing touch that delights the palate.
Frequently Asked Questions
A: Yes, you can use neutral-flavored oils like canola, sunflower, or vegetable oil as a substitute for avocado oil.
A: Yes, you can freeze the apple cake. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and then in aluminum foil. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before serving.
A: Honeycrisp apples are an excellent choice as they provide a delightful balance of sweetness and a pleasant crispness, which adds to the cake's flavor and texture.
Apples & Honey Cake
- ½ cup avocado oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ cup unsweeted apple sauce
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups of grated apples (I used 3 medium honey crisp apples)
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C)
- Grease a 9-inch round cake pan to prevent sticking.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the avocado oil and granulated sugar. Mix these ingredients together.
- Add in the eggs.
- Mix in the honey until you achieve a creamy consistency.
- Add in the unsweetened apple sauce.
- Gently fold in the grated apples, ensuring they're evenly dispersed throughout the batter.
- Add in baking powder, baking soda, salt, and ground cinnamon—ensuring they're well combined.
- Slow incorporate the flour until the cake batter forms.
- Carefully pour the batter into the greased 9-inch round cake pan, making sure it's evenly spread out.
- Create the crumb topping—combining flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, ground cinnamon, salt and avocado oil. Sprinkle this crumb topping evenly over the cake batter, adding a layer of delectable crunch.
- place the cake pan in the preheated oven, allowing the cake to bake for approximately 40-45 minutes. You'll know it's ready when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Once baked to perfection, take the cake out of the oven, and allow it to cool in the pan for around 15 minutes. This cooling period helps the cake to set.
- Carefully transfer the partially cooled cake to a wire rack, allowing it to cool completely before serving. This step helps the cake maintain its texture and prevents it from becoming soggy.